FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Child Care Health Consultant?
A Child Care Health Consultant is a trained health professional who works with child care professionals to recognize and promote the health and safety of children, families, and child care providers.
What does a Child Care Health Consultant do?
- Provide training and technical assistance on health and safety issues (i.e. health screening and immunization records)
- Review health, safety, and nutrition practices
- Assist in developing and reviewing written policies, procedures, and health records review
- Link children, families, and child care providers with community health resources (i.e. health screenings, health insurance)
- Provide on-site classroom health and safety consultation
- Provide infectious/communicable disease information
- Support child care providers who care for children with special health care needs (e.g. asthma)
- Provide telephone consultation
- Staff and parent training programs to increase skills and knowledge
- What are the benefits of a Child Care Health Consultant to your Child Care Program?
- Improve health and safety and reduce illness and injury in the child care environment
- Enhance child care programs to enable children to achieve optimal brain, emotional, and physical development
- Increase staff skills, knowledge, and confidence
- What qualifications should the Child Care Health Consultant have?
- Current health professional license
- Knowledge of, and respect for the child care industry and child care providers
- Knowledge of pediatric health care and child development
- Knowledge of community, state, and national resources
- Knowledge of local and state child care regulations
- Supportive attitude in working with culturally diverse populations
- How do you select a Child Care Health Consultant?
- Interview for the best qualified consultant for you and your staff
- Check professional experience and qualifications (have they completed any certification programs or education to be able to work within child care)
- Sign a contract describing all services to be provided